Thursday, February 27, 2014

Tears

Tears. Everyday our group goes around the table saying one word that would describe the day. Overall the word would be "tears" today. After the heart-wrenching day we had at Cité Soleil yesterday, I wasn't expecting today to be so emotionally draining.

Our first stop on the tap-tap was a Haitian school that I can only describe as primitive. For a school of 400 children, they had 3 classrooms and only 9 teachers. The roof consisted of plastic tarps and the floor was dirt. The classrooms held multiple grades, who sat quietly and respectfully for the teacher to come to their corner to teach. After our tour the principal expressed his hopes to fix up the school, he then told us he was counting on us to help him and his students. I guess I wasn't expecting him to say that. It was sad to think that very easily this school could look a ton better with just a couple thousand dollars. My heart sank thinking that my church could probably raise that money in one day.

The breaking point of my week happened when we visited the home of an elderly man named Edmond. I work at a nursing home and really love the people there, so I was really looking forward to talking to Haitian elderly people. Edmond is a 69 year old blind for lack of a better word "orphan". His home was no bigger than a small walk-in closet and I could probably count his possessions on one hand. We arrived with a sandwich and some juice, to which he immediately ate. I wonder when the last time he ate was. Our translator brought a electric piano with us, so we began to sing to Edmond. Then came the lotion. When our leaders told us that the elders really like to be massaged with lotion, I immediately listed that service as something another member of our team could do, remembering my extreme hatred for massaging other people. Of course, God had a different plan for my service. I all of the sudden found myself right in front of Edmond's bare feet with a knot in my stomach, a sign that I usually understand as the Holy Spirit telling me I need to obey. Taking a deep breath I grabbed the bottle of lotion and took a hold of sweet Edmond's feet. The look in Edmond's face will probably be etched in my mind for the rest of my life. Big fat tears welled up in my eyes as I remembered how Jesus washed the feet of the disciples. My group members sang in the background the song from Matt Redman, "And on that day when my strength is failing, the end draws near and my time has come. Still my soul will sing your grace unending 10,000 years and then forevermore". My tears evolved into full on crying as I rejoiced in Edmond's salvation, knowing that there will be a day when Edmond will see Jesus and have no more pain. I felt honored to be serving him, realizing the power of humbling yourself to my brother in Christ. Almost the whole team left Edmond's house with tears in their eyes. The power of the Holy Spirit was felt in Edmond's home today.

I feel blessed to be a part of this ministry, and could not be with a better team. It's amazing to see God working in everybody's life this week. God is so good.

-Julie






"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'
Matthew 25:40

1 comment: