Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Cité Soleil

Today was a rough day for us. Not because we were tired, overheated, or sick. Today we were emotionally torn up. I don't think any of us were expecting to see what we did. We arrived in Cité Soleil with a tank full of fresh water. This area is the poorest of the poor. The children run naked, with no shoes or clothes. The roads are covered in trash and broken glass. Some might have an oversized shirt or a mismatched pair of shoes, but that is it. They beg for attention, throwing thier arms up shouting "hey you!" I picked up one child and two jumped on my legs. They just want to be loved. Their parents aren't in sight, if they have parents at all. We were told that about 30-40% are restavek children. In other words, their parents sold them into slavery at a young age. Someone owns them and has them, forcing them to haul gallons of water from the truck to their "hut." Infant babies roam the streets, barely able to walk.

After delivering the water we walked out aways near the coast. Instead of a sandy beach we walked on a garbage dump. The children ran out to follow us. Our translators led the children in singing a song they all new. You could tell they were so proud because the song was in English and that we would understand. Smiling ear to ear and dancing the children sang "God is so good, God is so good." Tears welled up in my eyes, I couldn't find the words to sing. I was angry with God. I couldn't understand what these children had to be thankful for. Where was God for them? What had they done to deserve this life? In contrast, what had I done to deserve mine?

As we walked back I realized that I was wrong. God had given them a way out, a great gift, and a reason to sing. He had given them his Son. One day these children could escape from this horrible life, and live in Heaven forever. Right then I went from being angry at God, to thanking him.

I don't have all the answers, and I probably never will. But what I do know is that because of Jesus, we can all have hope.

- Ali

"But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which He will bring everything under his control."

Philipians 3:20-21








No comments:

Post a Comment