Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kalli Flaherty- Grace Village: Day 1 & Day 2

Hello Everyone!!

This is my second trip down to Haiti, and I already am so happy that I decided to come back! Last year we stayed at a Guest House in Port au Prince and this year we are staying at the site of an Orphanage called Grace Village in Titanyen. We are staying at an apartment below the dental clinic.. YES, THIS YEAR WE HAVE A DENTAL CLINIC!! Last year we worked outside, with no shelter from the sun, using lawn chairs and make-shift dental units to accomplish our dental work. This year a dental and medical clinic was built with two working dental units, a sterilizer, an xray sensor, lights and working chairs. This clinic has made everything so much more efficient and effective for us and our patients.

Today was our first full day of dentistry and we have accomplished almost as much as we did last year in one day! It feels so nice to be able to help all of these Haitians knowing that they would never get this help otherwise. There is a language barrier, but we have picked up a few words in Creole like open, close and good. Just the body language and expressions on these little Haitian faces are priceless. Especially when they climb into your chair scared and apprehensive, and they leave with a smile and a "thank you".

This opportunity once again is humbling me, and making me realize all the things that I was blessed with. The Haitian community may not have everything, but they make the best of what they have. Being away for a whole year memories fade, but coming back here.. it feels like I never left. I am so excited for  what else this week will bring, and what  other experiences I can overcome and share with these Haitians and our dental team.

Until next time, xoxo
Kalli Kay Flaherty


1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you guys! Sounds like you are accomplishing so much. Is great to hear. Enjoy yourselves, be safe, and send my love to all those Hatians.

    ReplyDelete