Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our Work Has Begun





"Never worry about numbers.  Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest to you"  Mother Teresa

For a long time our elderly patiently waited to see a dental team who are selflessly donating their time and talents to bring dental care to people who desperately need it.  I watched a lady carry herself with pride as we examined her eleven teeth.  Five were determined to have decayed to the nerve, yet she bore her pain as I'm sure she always does- quiet, stoic and uncomplaining.  Another lady (103 years old) had to have a tooth extracted.  When it was finished and she was asked how she felt, she raised her hands and said "Thank you Jesus".  I'm sure that's not the response our team normally gets in the states.  It took a little longer to see each patient as most were in need of extensive cleaning and repair.  Yet I never heard a complaint from those who were waiting nor did I ever catch an angry glance.  All were grateful for the opportunity to be relieved of the pain that most have endured for what I'm sure felt like an eternity.Our team worked through most of the day with little rest, yet I think they would have continued to work for hours more.  In the fading daylight and with reluctance, they finally had to stop seeing patients so they could get our translators home for the evening.

Our list is long and I'm sure we will be unable to see everyone, yet we will try. Tomorrow we will try to exam most of the children Healing Haiti has.  I wonder if they will be as calm and accepting as the elders we saw today?

No comments:

Post a Comment