Sunday, January 6, 2013

" I Wondered Why Somebody Didn't Do Something. Then I Realized, I Am Somebody."







" I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." Edward Everett Hale
"I expect to pass through life but once.  If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."  William Penn
" Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier." Mother Teresa

How can we help?  How can we best make a difference in their lives?  There must be something more we can do?  Something-anything!

The issues in Haiti are so many that we're often overwhelmed.  Everywhere we look, there's a scale of need so massive that it appears insurmountable.  Nothing happens quickly.  In many cases, change is so slow as to appear to be nonexistent. Yet we must try--

In a few short weeks, a dental team led by Dr. Zollinger will take time off from their busy schedules to volunteer their time to bring dental care to many Haitians who have never had any.  They are bringing supplies, knowledge and above all skills that will ease the burden and suffering that many have had due to decayed or diseased teeth.  Not only will their everyday pain be removed, but future discomfort as well through preventative measures.We have a chance to ease some real suffering.  We have a chance to be able to walk away knowing that everything possible was done to help them.

As with all teams, there will be many tears and soul searching, but my prayer is that we will come away  not feeling frustrated because we couldn't do more, but coming away remembering the smiles and gratitude expressed on the faces on those whose lives have just been measurably improved.  What better memory can there be?




No comments:

Post a Comment