Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Today I was restored


Today I was restored

We started out the day at the home for sick and dying adults. We rubbed lotion on the women and painted their nails. At first I was a little uncomfortable but then I remembered…. it’s not about me! It’s about serving God and the people of Haiti. The women seemed to appreciate it so much! What amazed me the most about this experience was attitude of the younger girls on our team. They all started out painting nails something they were more comfortable with, but when asked to help lotion the women they all willingly jumped in and began applying lotion. Seeing them lovingly massage these women made me admire each of them a little bit more than I already did. I was amazed by their servant hearts and their willingness to go beyond themselves and serve others.

We went to the Aparent project where we were able to purchase jewelry from local Haitians who are working to support their families. What a gift to be able to support such a great cause and support the people of Haiti! I was able to go upstairs and see some of the jewelry being made. So cool to see people working to support their families and their future. What a great organization.

Then we went to the home for the sick and dying infants and kids. It was fun to see some familiar little faces. See the smiles and laughter of the children playing in the courtyard. It made me sad to feel the heat from the fevers of some of the children I held or to hear the crud in their lungs as they breath. One little girl seemed hungry and was really thin but when I tried to give her the bottle she just didn’t want it.

When we got back we ate dinner. Then the girls went to the top of the hill to play soccer with some of the kids in the street. Later I walked up the hill to watch the soccer game. As I was walking there was this little girl about three years old running towards me as fast as her little legs would carry her. She ran straight into my arms where I gladly scooped he up and carried her up the hill. I held her and we laughed and played she took my glasses and tried them on her little face. She was so cute and she totally made my day running towards me with so much joy and excitement! This is why I love Haiti I have the opportunity to give so much but in return I receive so much more than I could ever give.
-Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment